Where does the HTC Exodus 1s store the Bitcoin blockchain?

rupert

Jr Member
Bold claims, press releases, lots of buzz but few technical details are available about how the HTC Exodus 1s will actually run a full Bitcoin node.

As you might have heard, the big killer app for this phone is that it can run a full trustless, decentralized and P2P Bitcoin node. It's being called "the blockchain phone". Cool.

OK that's all great but how will the phone store the hundreds of gigabytes required by the blockchain? How will it keep up with the ton of new daily transactions committed on the blockchain?

SSD Price vs. Phone price

So the Exodus 1 will cost somewhere from U$ 250 to U$ 300 when it comes out, according to Mashable (and other sources we've read).

A 1 TB SSD costs about U$ 120 right now on Amazon. You can't run a full Bitcoin node with under 1 TB and expect the phone to last more than a year or so. Bitcoin takes up a LOT of space. And users will want to use their phones for other stuff as well, so you need spare room.

At the current prices, a PC/notebook SSD costs U$ 120. So 50% of the phone cost would be just storage in this case. But that's not the actual spec: the Exodus 1 only has 128 GB storage. That's 1/8 of a TB. Which brings us to the point of this post:

128 GB storage is not enough for the complete Bitcoin blockchain!!!

Most online specs we found tells us that the Exodus 1 will boast 128 GB SSD storage. This is not nearly enough room for a full Bitcoin blockchain!

128 GB would be quickly consumed by the blockchain and the phone would not have a single byte left for any other app.

Full trustless mode requires full blockchain

Keep this in mind: If you don't store a full copy of the blockchain, then you are not running in trustless mode.

I assume the Exodus 1 will use a "trusted blockchain" from a HTC service. If this is the case then you are not running a full node.

No card slot

GSMArena.com says the phone does not have a card slot(!!!).

So, if it "only" has 128 GB internal storage and no card slot, then where does the Exodus 1 store the blockchain?

Ze

rupert

Jr Member
No, you are wrong. Full node is about validating (Fully validating node) you can activate pruning, onlyblocks, don't open ports, on your full node. What you can't do is not validate. You don't have to store the full blockchain to be a full node. https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node
I had not thought about pruned nodes. Exodus1 will run something like a pruned node? Is pruned node storage requirement compatible with 128 GB internal storeage?

I had not thought about pruned nodes. Exodus1 will run something like a pruned node? Is pruned node storage requirement compatible with 128 GB internal storeage?
I don't know if Exodus1 will run a pruned node. With Bitcoin Core the maximum prune value is 550MB. Take on count that this value only affects to blocks folder (raw data) you have to store all UTXO set (3.1GB right now).

rupert

Jr Member
I don't know if Exodus1 will run a pruned node. With Bitcoin Core the maximum prune value is 550MB. Take on count that this value only affects to blocks folder (raw data) you have to store all UTXO set (3.1GB right now).
Where can I find more documentation about this? I'd like to learn more about it. How did you derive the 3.1 GB, for example? Thanks in advance.

Where can I find more documentation about this? I'd like to learn more about it. How did you derive the 3.1 GB, for example? Thanks in advance.
Run your own full node. I have just checked the chainstate folder size. Take on count UTXO set size varies.